Moon Gating on 09/30/2011 01:59 AM CDT
Links-arrows 1
Reply Reply
I was wondering how exactly a moon gate works. Do i have to manually travel to both locations to establish a gate, or can i just cast from one location to another and travel to it?
Reply Reply
Re: Moon Gating on 09/30/2011 02:13 AM CDT
Links-arrows 2
Reply Reply
You cast once, and the gate opens between your current location and a location that has one of your moonbeams. So you need some way of getting a moonbeam at your destination.

The simplest way is to walk to the destination, set a beam, then walk somewhere else. Since moonbeams can last up to 3 hours, this isn't as useless as it might sound.

Another way is to shift the moonbeam to your destination. The easiest way to do this is by shifting to someone nearby that you've located, but this ability is going away relatively soon.

A third way is to give someone a celestial beacon, which is something you can make with enchanting. Then when they use the beacon, you can place a moonbeam at their location.
Reply Reply
Re: Moon Gating on 09/30/2011 02:14 AM CDT
Links-arrows 3
Reply Reply

Option 1) Set a beam, go travel and hunt somewhere else for a while and then cast moongate to get back to your set beam, if you can manage to reach it.

Option 2) Set a beam, gweth for someone in your desired destination to stand still for a locate, then locate and shift the beam to them, then moongate. IIRC, you can't shift a beam beyond the range of what you can hear on the K gweth.

Option 3) Set a beam, the shift the beam room by room until you get it where you want or you can't move it anymore. Probably the least used method to gate.

Option 4) Celestial Beacon - make some up, give em to a friend and have them raise it and you can set a beam on their position, then gate there if it is within your skill.

If you find yourself too far from your beam and can't open a gate, Teleport is your friend.

Reply Reply
Re: Moon Gating on 09/30/2011 02:38 AM CDT
Links-arrows 4
Reply Reply
I guess BOONES1851 really added on (in parts) to ILLIENA who's completely right. I'm going to simply combine these two into (what I hope is) a comprehensive answer.

1) set a beam go somewhere else however use (the AP, your feet, RS, whatever) then Moongate back (or if it's too far just teleport)

2) yeah, the k gweth thing, but if that's what you care about, go play another guild. We don't want you.

(and as BOONES1851 added rightfully to ILLIENA's good post)

3) use shift moonbeam to 'gesture moonbeam direction') (if you needed the forums to teach you this, play another guild)

4)use a celestial beacon (as BOONES said) to create a direct moonbeam at the target.

What circle is your character by the way? That will help narrow the answers.
Reply Reply
Re: Moon Gating on 09/30/2011 03:15 AM CDT
Links-arrows 5
Reply Reply

Alright firstly i am circle 10, and secondly if having to ask a legitimate question on the forums because everyone i come across in the crossings is either scripting or just plain snobby means i should join another guild that is total BS. I asked a question and got two very helpful very civilized answers before you came upon this topic telling me if i dont know to just leave.
Reply Reply
Re: Moon Gating on 09/30/2011 03:27 AM CDT
Links-arrows 6
Reply Reply
Sorry, sorry. As you progress in the guild you'll realize the number of bought MMs (it's a sad reality) increases by the circle. If you're circle 10 I don't mean to be so critical but was hedging my bets since if you were circle 80 or so it would mean you bought your character. Respect for being a true MM! Forgiveness? We can ride a rainbow on a unicorn onto friendship island!

Either way, enjoy the combined guide (if it's as complete as I suspect). ILLIENA and BOONES1851 know their stuff.
Reply Reply