Arcana on 09/30/2011 06:10 AM CDT
Links-arrows 1
Reply Reply
Ok i know this issue has most likely been beaten to death before, but i trolled the boards looking for a good way to train Arcana, and was informed that focusing on a moonblade is pretty much the go to way of doing it
i have prepped moonblades at 10 mana and focused on them and my arcana barely moves, i use a cambrinth moonmage guild ring and it barely moves, my sandalwood fan smokes now so i cannot use that. is there a better way of doing this or am i doing something wrong, my arcana is rank 37
Reply Reply
Re: Arcana on 09/30/2011 06:13 AM CDT
Links-arrows 2
Reply Reply

also in an unrelated issue, but an attempt to save boardspace, does casting piercing gaze on a gem give appraisal, and if not then WHY not. i understand its not a full money appraisal but you are still determining the quality of the gem. Also casting piercing gaze on a box SHOULD give you knowledge into the type of trap on the box, i mean you are seeing into the box therefor you should be able to see the type of trap.
Reply Reply
Re: Arcana on 09/30/2011 08:30 AM CDT
Links-arrows 3
Reply Reply
Holy run on sentences Batman!

As for not learning from Moonblade, all I can suggest is try either a bigger cast of Moonblade or keep focusing. It's not supposed to be a 'focus once and you're mind locked'. Use this script:

loop:
put focus moonblade
pause
pause
goto loop

And let it run for 5m. You'll see Arcana moving.
Reply Reply
Re: Arcana on 09/30/2011 09:16 AM CDT
Links-arrows 4
Reply Reply
I haven't ever tried the moonblade trick so I can't really talk about how well that should work.

Cambrinth has a few factors that helps with experience learning. Both the size of the cambrinth item and the amount of mana you put in per charge seem to impact how much experience you get per charge and focus. If you aren't seeing much experience from those you might want to either put more mana per charge or find a slightly larger cambrinth item (rings only hold 4 which is pretty low). There is a great list on Elanthipedia (http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Cambrinth) where you can see how much an item will hold.

I just started another cleric and I have been using an armband for a while and my current arcana is 60. I'm not exactly sure when I started using it but it could have been around 35-40. Just make sure once you charge energy into something you can focus it, if you can't make the link then the cambrinth is too large for you.
Reply Reply
Re: Arcana on 09/30/2011 11:18 AM CDT
Links-arrows 5
Reply Reply
Arcana -- You're still in the range where premie fans (tap them) will train arcana as a bridge to the 40-50 ranks where cambrinth becomes more ideal.
Otherwise the guidance on the moonblades looks right.

Piercing gaze -- You're using one skill (primary magic) to bypass another skill (appraisal) when examining the gem. If you want to learn experience and get the same information, talk to a trader about buying a jewelers loupe from them, as I believe those teach appraisal.

Also, in Magic 3.0, I believe PG is slated to boost either/or lockpicking/disarm/the combined skill if it's getting combined. Don't quote me on that, but I seem to recall that from the last time I looked at the proposed list.

DR Armorcrafting 3.0:
http://tinyurl.com/drarmor3

DR Crafting Calc:
http://tinyurl.com/DRCraftCalc
Reply Reply
Re: Arcana on 09/30/2011 04:52 PM CDT
Links-arrows 6
Reply Reply
Low levels of arcana are pretty hard to train- but you do have enough skill that cam armbands should be useable. Not playing a moon mage prime, I can't advise you about spells.

Good luck!

Player of...

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Reply Reply
Re: Arcana on 10/01/2011 02:00 AM CDT
Links-arrows 7
Reply Reply
There's a sphere of some sort that works like a premie fan (tap tap) available at some shop in Aesry I think (might be trader shop). That sphere will teach to at least 100, and as you'll notice from the fan, it's a much better way to learn than camb.

Arcana is awful to learn after that.
Reply Reply
Re: Arcana on 10/01/2011 09:08 AM CDT
Links-arrows 8
Reply Reply
>Arcana is awful to learn after that.

Oddly, MD is one of my 'favorite' skills once I can train worn.

But my MD script also works md/pm/ha/pp/app/foraging/perception by throwing in an app a power and a collect/kick.

I'd love it if anyone could suggest any other skills to throw in there; foraging is my second highest survival.

Please remember: just because a post is 'new to you' doesn't mean we have any idea what you're responding to. Quotes is your friend.
Reply Reply
Re: Arcana on 10/01/2011 03:10 PM CDT
Links-arrows 9
Reply Reply
> I'd love it if anyone could suggest any other skills to throw in there

Maybe obvious, but... astrology?
Reply Reply
Re: Arcana on 10/01/2011 04:19 PM CDT
Links-arrows 10
Reply Reply
>Maybe obvious, but... astrology?

Nah, I use the script for all my magic using chars, so try to keep it simple/generic.

Please remember: just because a post is 'new to you' doesn't mean we have any idea what you're responding to. Quotes is your friend.
Reply Reply
Re: Arcana on 10/01/2011 04:45 PM CDT
Links-arrows 11
Reply Reply
>>I'd love it if anyone could suggest any other skills to throw in there; foraging is my second highest survival.

My Arcana script is also my combat script. So... weapons/armor/evasion/shield/parry/multi/TM/astrology in addition to your list? :D

But seriously, you could sit on a grassy spot and add mech, or sit by a climbing spot and add climb practice. Or make quick swimming runs in between. (Or train instruments/Vocals, although at the moment I don't really see why you'd want to.)

-- Player of Eyuve
Reply Reply
Re: Arcana on 10/02/2011 05:45 PM CDT
Links-arrows 12
Reply Reply
Recently, my favorite way to learn arcana is to study Yavash, then scribe an oak limb. There are a number of skills here that are rather high, so it's not for beginners. Having said that, it is nice once you get there.

You do an incredible backflip with a beautiful twist rotation, gaining nearly five feet of air and landing neatly on your feet without so much as a wobble!
Reply Reply